We all have it (to varying degrees). And we all want it to be as healthy as possible. Below, Zen Maitri’s medical herbalist Alex Dover breaks down our Herbal Hair Oil and answers some of the common questions we receive about it…
Why make a Herbal Hair Oil in the first place?
Keeping your hair healthy isn’t easy. It’s impacted by your diet, the environment, your genetics, and even things like the stress you are under and the amount of sleep that you get.
Our Herbal Hair Oil is a natural antidote for hair in need of TLC. It contains moisturising, strengthening and nourishing natural ingredients to keep your hair healthy and encourage optimal growth.
What is special about Zen Maitri’s Hair oil? What inspired the recipe?
Our recipe is based on a blend of ayurvedic and western herbal traditions, with herbs and essential oils that target five areas of hair health:
Our herbal blend encourages microcirculation to bring extra nutrition and blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles to improve hair growth and strength. It also has antimicrobial properties that help to combat dandruff and dry, irritated scalps.
How is Zen Maitri’s Herbal Hair Oil made?
Like most of our in-store products, our Hair Oil is made by hand in small batches in our apothecary. We carefully source our ingredients to ensure their quality.
The herbs and herbal powders are macerated in the carrier oils (warmed for a specific period of time) before the mixture is filtered. The gentle heating process transfers the properties of the herbs into the oil. The essential oils are added to each bottle at the final stage. This means they are not damaged or diluted during the warming process.
What Herbs, Powders and Oils go into Zen Maitri Hair Oil?
Rather than macerate piles of raw herbs during the Hair Oil-making process, we use herbal powders. These have a larger surface area, so their properties are more easily transferred into the hair oil. But there are a few herbs that are used in their natural state.
- Olive Oil, a rich, heat-stable base oil
- Sesame Oil, which nourishes hair and regulates oil levels
- Castor Oil, which is rich in Vitamin E and hair-soothing minerals. Hydrating, with antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and hair growth properties. A natural antioxidant that adds shine
- Coconut oil nourishes and conditions the scalp
- Black Seed Oil is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and moisturising, so helps to prevent shedding
Jojoba is actually a liquid wax that helps to regulate scalp oil levels. It’s very similar to our natural sebum skin oil
The Herbal Powders
- Musta is an antioxidant that helps retain colour and pigmentation
- Bhringraj helps to prevent hair loss, promote shine and improve softness
- Amla is a natural conditioner. It prevents dandruff and greying and helps to strengthen your hair’s roots
- Bala is an antioxidant and moisturiser
- Horsetail is rich in vitamins and minerals, including silica, which helps hair growth and combats thinning hair
- Nettle prevents loss and breakage and stimulates circulation to your hair follicles
- Gotu Kola promotes growth and circulation to follicles
- Sage is traditionally used to delay the onset of greying and promote hair strength
Essential oils, used for fragrance and function
- Rosemary helps with microcirculation in the scalp and promotes blood supply to the hair follicles to increase thickness and growth
- Lemon helps balance oil levels fights against dandruff
- Peppermint helps improve circulation to the hair follicles and promotes the anagen stage of hair growth. Studies also show this oil increases the number and depth of hair follicles
- Ylang ylang helps regulate oil levels, improves hair texture and reduces breakage while stimulating hair growth and reducing thinning by helping to increase circulation and stimulate dormant follicles
What kind of success have we had with Zen Maitri’s hair oil?
Many Zen Maitri clients have reported that regular use of our Hair Oil has resulted in them have speedier hair growth, and stronger, smoother hair. Keen to try it for yourself? Our Hair Oil is available online and in-store.
Alex Dover is one of Zen Maitri’s consultant Medical Herbalists. He trained at London’s University of Westminster, where he studied for 5 years and gained a BSc Honours degree in Herbal Medicine. Alex has always had a keen interest in plants and their qualities. He’s passionate about herbal medicine and the powerful healing properties plants can offer to his patients.